|Dr Aruyaru is a consultant general and laparoscopic surgeon and a healthcare manager. He has solid experience in managing busy surgical units and leading clinical teams to deliver in the lines of quality health provision and evidence based surgical practice.|
He serves in the surgical society of Kenya as a member of the Research and Scientific Committee and is the associate editor of the Society’s Official Peer Reviewed Journal.
Besides clinical practice, Dr Aruyaru is a health advocate, a fete he achieves through his blog (The Village Surgeon) and as a commentator on health matters in the local dailies.
Globally, he works as an active member of the College of Surgeons of East Central and Southern Africa, the International Society of Surgery, the American College of Surgeons, the Cochrane Group and the World Health Organization; among others.
Besides surgery, Dr Aruyaru is an author, an accomplished public speaker and a youth mentor. He founded the ‘Mentor One Inspire One’ initiative that provides mentorship and academic support to primary and secondary school students in his home area.
- General surgery
- Trauma surgery
- Surgical oncology Breast surgery Hernia surgery Laparoscopy/minimally invasive surgery
- Salam RA, Sayed SB, Ngugi A, Ochieng P, Mwenda AS. Training health workers in clinical breast examination for early breast cancer detection in low- and middle-income countries. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, Issue 1
- Mwenda AS, Obonyo NG. 100 days: Doctors strike in Kenya (2017). World Medical Journal 2017; 63 (1): 18-20.
- Mwenda AS, Fazal A, Saidi H, Oroko PK. Lumbosacral corsets Improve the outcome of Patients with Non-Specific Acute Low Back Pain. Ann Afr Surg 2017; 14(1): 35-39
- Mwenda AS, Wasike R. Breast Abscess Management and the Role of Post Incisional Antibiotics. Ann Afr Surg 2016; 13(2):63-6
- Mwenda AS. The recurrent laryngeal nerve and thyroid surgery: who to scope, when to explore, who to stimulate. Ann Afr Surg 2016; 13(2): 72-6
- Mwenda AS, Mwachiro MD. The Surgeon and Advocacy. Ann Afr Surg 2015; 12(1):1-3
- Waweru J, Barasa M, Mwenda AS, Mwago J. Hernia Surgery in Nyeri Provincial General Hospital; Our 6-year experience. Ann Afr Surg 2014; 11(2): 1-4
- Aruyaru Stanley Mwenda. Through the eyes of a general surgeon; Why Surgical Specialists in Sub Saharan Africa need to train in general surgery first. Primary Healthcare 2014; 4:162
- Mwenda AS, Ilkul JH. The ‘Vanishing Breast’: An Unusual Presentation of Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma. Ann Afr Surg.2013;10(2): 39-41
- Aruyaru Stanley Mwenda. Imperforate Hymen – a rare cause of acute abdominal pain and tenesmus: case report and review of the literature. Pan Afr Med J. 2013; 15: 28
- Aruyaru Stanley Mwenda. 4th Stage Transvaginal Omental herniation during VBAC complicated by shoulder dystocia: a unique presentation of uterine rupture. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2013; 13 (1):76
- Mwenda AS, Ilkul JH. Obstructive Ileal Ascariasis. N Engl J Med. 2013; 368 (10):943
- Aruyaru Stanley Mwenda. A severe form of Gastroschisis. J Pak med stud. 2012; 2(2):58
- Aruyaru Stanley Mwenda. Learning from the nurses and the paramedics; the experience of a Kenyan medical officer intern- a call to research. Pan Afr Med J. 2012; 12:36
- Aruyaru Stanley Mwenda. A student’s Analysis of the Moi University-Linköping University Exchange Programme. Educ Health 2012; 25:111-5
- Ilkul JH, Wahinya WM, Mwenda AS. The presentation of cryptorchidism at Consolata hospital Nyeri, Kenya. Ann Afr Surg 2012;9(2):100-103
- Aruyaru Stanley Mwenda. From a dream to a resounding reality: the inception of a doctors’ union in Kenya. Pan Afr Med J. 2012; 11:16
- Aruyaru Stanley Mwenda. Peters anomaly with post axial Polydactyly, Bilateral camptodactyly and Club foot in a Kenyan neonate; A case report. J Med Case Rep. 2012; 6:16